Friday, January 14, 2011

Rabindranath Tagore

Fireflies by Rabindranath Tagore

A few years ago a dear friend of mine lost her mother who had been sick for some time with cancer. She sent out a clipping of her mother's obituary a few weeks later and with it included a quote from Rabindranath Tagore. It reads:


“Death is not extinguishing the light; 
it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.” 

Isn't that the most beautiful, poetic way to describe death? Especially after so much suffering. If you believe in an afterlife, as I do, what a simple way to view the end of this life, as the dawn of a new day.  

My friend happened to visit this summer. She spotted this book, Fireflies, at a thrift store and later gave it to me! I can't describe what a profound book this is. I highly recommend it. Every little poem is so simple, yet so full of wisdom. 

"While God waits for His temple to be built of love, 
men bring stones."

"My heart today smiles at the past night of tears 
like a wet tree glistening in the sun after the rain is over."

"Life's errors cry for the merciful beauty 
that can modulate their isolation 
into a harmony with the whole"

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I think I need to read this book. I've never heard of it before but I'm absolutely intrigued.